Thursday, January 11, 2007

He's okay...

Yesterday morning, I felt the pit drop out of my stomach when I saw Leonard had separated from the herd and gone to the one spot in the pasture where seriously ill goats go to. I'm not sure what it is about that spot. They just go there and look miserable.

I had to go back to the house to get a lead to bring him in and while I was doing that he went off with the rest of the herd down the mountain.

They came back that afternoon. Leonard didn't.

Damn, I surely don't need anyone else dropping dead on me right now. Especially Leonard, who I have a real soft spot for.

I got Leonard and his brother Beacon last spring from Riverhill Farms on the other side of the Park. He is a purebred Nubian and a handsome bay and black lad. He's very affectionate for a buck. You do have to watch it when you hand feed him. Once you run out of carrots or sweet potato chunks he will try to rip your pants off to see if there is anything else in your pocket.

Out of rut, Leonard is a very lovely little gentleman. Then when he goes into rut, he will slyly sidle up to you to pee on your shoes. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen for that one. You really don't want to pet a goat in rut. Mainly because they pee on their faces to attract the Lay-dees. Aside from stinking to high heaven, they also engage in a number of fairly disgusting behaviors.

Like giving themselves blowjobs. I guess, because they can. They don't care who's watching.

It's hard to tell when a Nubian is in distress. They sound pretty pitiful all the time. The Saanens have melodic, sweet sounding nickers and bahs. They sound very distinctive when asking for food or saying they are sick. Nubians sound like a love-sick sea monster pining away for its mate, pretty much all the time. And Leonard is one of my more vocal goats.

I was really happy at dusk last night to see that Leonard had made his way back up the mountain. I was a bit afraid he had gone down there and wasn't strong enough to get back up. He's on the back porch now eating alphalfa and keeping Blinkin' company.

The problem seems to have been constipation. Some warm molasses tea with some electrolytes seems to have gotten him unblocked. I'm covering him with some antibiotics just to be on the safe side.

2 Comments:

  1. Erica said...
    You, my friend, have the coolest sounding job in the world.

    And such a big heart, that you could forgive Leonard, even after he makes your shoes his beeyotch.

    I'd apply for an internship on your farm, but I'm afraid I'd be terribly allergic.
    Anne Johnson said...
    I wish I really was a goat judge. Then I could tell you what to do. But calling myself a goat judge is just a dodge. I hope he's okay.

Post a Comment