Friday, July 01, 2005

Peek-a-boo Peach Brandy


I picked up a big basket of South Carolina peaches in Newport the other week. The idea of the sweetness of my home state was too strong to resist. I mentioned something about the goats and the fella unloaded four crates of over-ripe peaches on me in addition to the basket I bought.

Well, the goats aren't going to see these. I'm making brandy.

Peek-a-boo Peach Brandy is made by layering sugar and peaches in a large crock or jar. You stir the mixture for the first seven days for about 3 minutes to release the fermenting gases. On the seventh day, add the juice of four lemons and a box of raisins. You wrap the jar in a paper bag and hide it in a cool dark place. Check in about 21 days and decant and bottle if you wish. It will result in a potent spirit by Thanksgiving at which you can "peek" at it and enjoy some. You can add some moonshine(or vodka) to make it even stronger and more potent. The left over fruit is really wonderful spooned over vanilla ice cream. By Christmas, it should have quite a kick to it.

I'm planning to do the same this summer with blackberries and elderberries. I haven't gotten much gardening in due to the spill I took during planting season chasing the damn goat.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Bonjour!
    Je suis content de savoir que tu as aime cette region qu' est le nord de la France, j'y retournerai des que je rentrerai en France
    Rosie said...
    Bonjour...

    Oui. J'ai beaucoup de mémoires affectueuses de la Normandie. J'espère renvoyer un certain jour.

    http://rosiewolf.buzznet.com/user/

Post a Comment