Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Stormy Tuesday


I didn't get a post in yesterday since the storms came before I got to it and then it was too late.

At least we have some rain with today's storms. We really need it, much more than we need the dry lightning that takes out the phones. Tomorrow is market day and I will no doubt be short tempered and cranky at having to give up so much of my day to shopping and bill paying. Then the slew of tri-monthly doctor visit in K-town at UT. I will be mostly cranky for the rest of the week.

Betty Goat is looking more and more pregnant and like she's going to pop soon. She should be the first to go as we approach this mid summer kidding season.

I had a nice visit with my friend on Sunday and she spoke more about the custom of the "pie supper" that I heard about from Red. I just started to describe how they met and her eyes lit up and she said, "Oh , yes! That's a pie supper!"

They would also auction off walks. The young ladies of the community would offer up pies and the prize of a walk for auction. Sometimes they would auction off box lunches. It was how they raised money for school supplies and such.

One time, right after she was married and her husband was away in Korea, she and her sisters attended a pie supper. Betty asked them not to put up a pie for her, since she was now a happily married woman. Evidently her sisters went ahead and offered not only a pie, but also a walk with her

The gentleman who bought both her walk and her pie had just returned from the service on leave. She told the gentleman that she was now married and he could just take that pie and walk himself.

He was heartbroken. "But, you can't be married already! How did that happen!"

She smiled sadly at him and walked away.

What can I say? You snooze, you lose.

She also told me some bits about school lunches during those days. I'd already talked a bit about those in the article about the biscuits. Everyone took their lunch and it was a biscuit sandwich of some sort. Mainly because the weren't eating the squishy white bread the rest of us were eating. It was usually a chicken or ham or sausage biscuit of some sort. She says that was the case for everyone she went to school with.

On some special days, they would all bring in some food item. A bunch of carrots, some potatoes, cabbage or onions. They did have a little shed attached to the schoolroom where a wood cook stove was kept. On those days, the teacher would cook up a big pot of soup for the children with whatever they brought in. They would have the soup probably with cornbread.

I was immediately reminded of "The Stone Soup" story that was one of my favorites from childhood. It feels like an Appalachian stone soup tale, doesn't it? I shall probably have to write it, don't you think?

5 Comments:

  1. Jbeeky said...
    We love Stone Soup. I love the storm picture. I can imagine watching the rain fall from there. I do miss rain and thunderstorms here in San Diego.
    Mrs. Geezerette said...
    This reminds me of the lunches I brought to school back in the late 40's in Illinois. They usually consisted of a slice of baloney between two slices of white pasty Rainbow bread. Mayo would have been the spread Mother used. The sandwich was wrapped in wax paper and placed in a paper bag along with an apple and maybe a few cookies.

    Mother always sent a glass jar of milk to school with me. To create a better seal, Mother would place a piece of wax paper between the jar top and its lid. By the time lunch rolled around, the wax paper seal was soggy and the milk was lukewarm.

    I like the simplicity of your stories, Rosie.
    Peggy said...
    mother told me of carrying her lunch to school in a lard bucket. She either had a biscuit or a piece of cornbread with sausage or ham in it and in the summer it would be a slice of tomato. They had the stove in the middle of the school room and did the soap thing once a week in the winter too. They had a bucket on the bench with a dipper that they drank out of and the boys would have to take turns on who would go to the spring to fill the bucket. They used a grapevine for a jump rope. She was raised on Forney's Creek which is now almost all under water thanks to Fontana Dam.
    Anne Johnson said...
    I miss those mountain storms. Great photo.
    Bad Alice said...
    If my mom were still alive, she would be on the computer reading your blog every day. She was always so curious about people's lives and she would have loved your stories. She probably would have had a few of her own to share with you. And I'm sure pie suppers and box lunches were part of her upbringing as well.

Post a Comment