Thursday, August 06, 2009

Kurosawa's Rain


I have some writing to share with you. I've become a bit slack about my promos. Have been keeping up on FB, but I feel another hiatus coming on from FB.

"Kurosawa's Rain" is up on The Potomac. I really love The Potomac's combination of literature and politics and really hope they keep publishing. Please support them--this is a smart publication--not just arty.

This is an intensely personal story about love, madness and failure. How you can’t always protect the ones you love from themselves and how maybe you shouldn’t and how you’re going to feel like shit about that anyway. The Kurosawa references are specific and if you come away saying “WTF?!!!” to yourself, it’s okay. One reader in workshop told me the story would be okay if I took out all the Japanese crap. But I didn’t. Because it was important to me. Anyway. I don’t usually explain what I meant when I wrote something, but I dug around in my marrow with this one.

It’s got two commas that don’t belong. See, back in the olden days we used to write our stories in notebooks and on typewriters (if we could type—not everyone could back in those days). I now have multiple drafts of the same story where I used to just have one dog-eared manuscript with many scribbles that would then be typed fresh. Anyway. Sent the wrong draft. Two commas. Crap.

5 Comments:

  1. Bad Alice said...
    That's a great story. Whoever told you to take out the "Japanese crap" was so off base. I don't know every reference, but you don't really have to. To me, those references show how we try to dig meaning out of our lives by relating it to movies or books, stories, whatever. And the Japanese - the masters of orderliness - how appropriate.
    Brad Green said...
    I had the "sent the wrong draft" moment before. Worked out in the end for you though!
    Gary Carden said...
    Rose,
    I'm an old English teacher and I am frequently ashamed of that background when I run into literature where a writer's imagination is ignored but SOMEBODY found an unnecessary comma or a comma splice....usually a former English teacher. We need to be reprogrammed.
    Velociman said...
    Very good, Rosie. The Kurosawa metaphor was very apt. I didn't notice the two commas, but then I'm such an abuser of that punctuation mark the Blue Book took out a restraining order on me.
    Charles Rinehart said...
    Fiction can be fun, huh?

Post a Comment