Friday, August 27, 2010


After fourteen years of snack stealing, unrepentant repetitive barking, trash scrounging, undeserved entitlement and all around outrageous behavior--Fat Buddy has left the building.

He taught me a lot about loving life, despite health challenges--of which he had many. I liked to say that FB was the canine version of me--autoimmune disorders a-go-go and poor impulse control when it comes to all things food. I've nursed him through so many health scares that I should have been ready for this day--but I'm not. He's been my happy jester and my heart hurts.

I don't really have any words--so I thought I'd share my favorite Kipling poem--which pretty much sums up this particular moment those of us who give our hearts away know too well. And some images of what made Fat Buddy--well, Fat Buddy.


The Power of the Dog
by
Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.


Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.


When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.



When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart for the dog to tear.


We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long--
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

10 Comments:

  1. Galadriel said...
    I'm so sorry to hear it.

    We just had to put my Tessa to sleep two days ago. I feel your pain. We're miserable. I miss her so much.

    http://lady-of-lothlorien.com/dogs/tessa-08-25-2010/gzb-tessa-face.jpg

    So sorry for your loss.
    Leeuna said...
    Oh Rosie, I am so so sorry. I know your heart is breaking. I shed a tear for Fat Buddy when I read your post. He is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, I'm sure. I know it will take time for your heart to heal, but it will always wear the scars left by his passing. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya.
    Skunkfeathers said...
    Condolences. I've been there: we got a puppy in '62, and that dog and I were fast enemies. She was with us through countless moves and three states, and once my sister went off to college, Patsy and I became fast friends. And thus, one late summer day in '77, it fell to me to take Patsy for her eternal visit to the vet.

    I reckon I never got over the look on her face as she passed.

    Take care.
    Ann said...
    I read about your loss on Leeuna's blog and wanted to come over to tell you how sorry I am. It's never easy losing one of our furry friends.
    The Oceanside Animals said...
    Leeuna sent us over. Sorry to hear about Fat Buddy. He looks like a sweetie -- the cone pictures are adorable.
    Unknown said...
    here via leeuna also. my heartfelt sympathy. i've been there more times than i care to recollect.

    my prayer is for peace and in time the heaviness in your heart will give way to the fond memories you've shared with Fat Buddy...

    (as ironic as it is...my captcha word to prove that i'm not a troll is "nobark")
    Unknown said...
    What a touching tribute. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your best friend. I have two dogs and cat. They are as much a part of the family as my husband, son, and I.

    Several years ago, my 19-year old cat died. He was my baby and I still miss him so much. Ironically, our animals bring out the humanity in us.

    We're so lucky to have been able to spend time with them.
    Omnibabe said...
    Oh, Rosie! I'm late to this news, but want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. How wonderful that you had so many years with Fat Buddy, and how lucky you are to have been loved by him!
    Nancy said...
    Ah, Rosie, I'm sorry to hear about Fat Buddy. Some dogs leave a bigger hole in your heart than others, don't they?
    Deanna said...
    So sorry.

Post a Comment