Monday, October 01, 2007


Tulah sat looking out the small window into the morning light with dreams of love in her fourteen year-old noggin. Her eyes were dreamy and unfocused as she imagined her love all dapper and fancied waiting for her at the alter.. His hair was long and curly and salt and pepper. He had the purtiest hair. She saw herself being led up the aisle by her Daddy and the preacher man waiting for her with Tarn beaming and smiling. That gold front tooth of his glinting like a diamond. Her dress was long and new and covered in lace and ribbons and he just couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

She gave a long, loud sigh and hugged herself closing her eyes with a delicious shiver.

It was about that time that her ma gave her a good swat with the wet dish towel.

“Ow!” she cried. “That hurt... Mommy!” She drew out “Mommy” in the way that teenagers do and rolled her eyes.

“I’ve about had it with you mooning around here after that no-count.” Her mother, Cinnie, said. “He don’t even know you’re alive…and a good thing too. “

Cinnie scrubbed the stove top with more force than was strictly necessary. She scrubbed, then poured a measure of lye water on it to sit for a while. Then she pulled the butter churn from behind the wood stove and began churning it with more force than she needed. She drew her lips into a tight line and stayed tersely silent.

Tulah gave another heavy sigh.

“Oh, Mommy, he’s bound to notice me. He just must! I just love him so! I swear he looked right at me and winked at the homecoming. I know he did!” Tulah twirled around the cabin floor, hugging herself.

Cinnie stopped her churning and looked down into the opening of the churn. She cut her eyes at Tulah’s young face.

“Baby. You have to listen to me. Tarn Rickson is a bad, bad man. He’s done terrible things. If I thought he were after one of my babies, I’d kill him. I’d shoot him dead. I really would. I just don’t understand why you set your cap for him.”

Tulah frowned and gave a little pout.

“Oh, Mommy, you just don’t understand! I could change him. I know I could!”

And Tulah felt in her young girl’s soul that this was surely true. All Tarn needed was the love of a good woman. And she knew in her heart of hearts that she was that woman.

And Cinnie prayed to herself, Lord, don't make my baby learn this lesson the hard way.

Sugar and Brimstone ~ Part Two

3 Comments:

  1. Mrs. Geezerette said...
    I'll be following this story, Rosie.
    KMTBERRY said...
    I am so stoked about your new fiction!

    YAY
    bluemountainmama said...
    lovin' it, rosie! but it can't end well..... :) look forward to 'the rest of the story', as paul harvey would say.

Post a Comment