Friday, November 16, 2007


So, this past Saturday, I joined an eclectic group of Pagans, free thinkers, Libertarians and RuPaul supporters for a goat roast! (oops, I'm being told by Shadow, The Political Pundit Cocker Spaniel, that it's Ron Paul, not Rupaul. And here I was getting all excited about having a six-foot-five drag queen in the White House. Hey...a girl can dream, right?)

Anyway...it was loads of fun. Picture a crisp starry mountain night with the air heavily laden with wood smoke. Two fires, one for the guest of honor and another for the drummers. Stories were told, food was eaten and there was amazing pumpkin soup. A man, who told me his name was "Spirit", made the most delicious ginger beer I've ever had. He passed on a trick the Jamaicans use that I'm going to try for my next batch. The trick is a little cayenne to boost the heat.


The entire evening had a sort of mystical quality to it. Friend Scott came along, but he had to leave early to go to work. He had some goat and chicken and some really wonderful hearty bread that had blue cheese baked into it.

Friend Scott asked me, "What do you call that? A cape?"

He was looking at one of the Pagan gentlemen who was wearing a cloak against the chill night air.

"I think it's more correctly called a cloak." I said.

"I want one." Scott says.

I'm not sure if there is anything finer than an outdoor barbecue or roast on chilly autumn evening. There is something atavistic about it. Something primal about gathering with folk around an open fire and eating meat.

And as I said before, I was not acquainted with the goat in question, so he was delicious. There was chicken though for the less adventurous.

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    hehehehe... RuePaul in the white house..

    oh Rosie, that cook out looks and sounds like so much.. haven't been to one of those in years...
    Anne Johnson said...
    I'd vote for Rupaul.

    Pagans will always show you a good time.
    bonnie said...
    yum!

    Hang on, recipe for Jamaican ginger beer? Have you posted? I must find! As I've mentioned, my neighborhood is really Caribbean & one thing I've gotten VERY accustomed to is that good assertive Jamaican ginger beer I can get in every bodega around here. Once you've had that you can't go back to Seagram's Ginger Ale. Sugary, insipid stuff.
    KMTBERRY said...
    I met RuPaul many MANY years ago in 1985. My band was on it's first tour, and the club we were playing (I think it was in Atlanta?) was having a RuPaul Birthday Party during soundcheck/early evening before the Rock show.

    He had a big birthday cake that he insisted on sharing with us,. and AT THAT TIME he was only locally notorious (as in not yet even locally FAMOUS), and he was A VERY VERY NICE MAN!!

    He had that REAL southern hospitality..a real Lady!

    Then he went on to become FAR my famous that my band ever got!

    I have never forgotten him..and I have forgotten most of the eighties at this point ha ha menopause you know
    Sharon said...
    That sounds like a blast!! Sounds like something that would be fun to take pictures of too. I love the image of the mountain sky with the fire and the stories.

    Sharon
    Hayden said...
    count me in on the ginger beer recipe. It's something I've been scouting for for several months....

Post a Comment