Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Opening a vein...

...and letting the words bleed out.

I'm doing another one of those story a day things. Not here--over on Zoetrope. The Flashathon.

Anyway. Yesterday I wrote a story that hit me so hard, upset me so badly--essentially dredged up stuff I needed to look at, but hadn't for one reason or another. It's a fabulous story. I outdid myself. It's reviewing really well. But the emotional toll was pretty steep. I pretty much had to take to my bed. I felt teary and out of sorts all day.

I know there are writers who say all of their stories are like that. I can't do that. I hurt myself when I write one of those and need to retreat into plot and craft and recover. I need a few days of kitty and puppy stories.

Snake Church News

Don't know if you saw the article in this past weekend's paper--probably not if you don't have a snakehandling church nearby. Anyway, Kentucky is cracking down on the Signs following churches via the wildlife/snake trade route.

Pastor among suspects in illegal snake bust

Religious snakehandlers busted in Kentucky

Snake handling pastor arrested

All the articles have the same info. I'm familiar with Pastor Coot's name. I don't think Jimmy has much to do with the Middleboro church. I haven't had a chance to chat with him about what he thinks about it. Most of the signs followers catch their snakes from the wild, though every once in a while they will get an exotic to handle. I'm not sure if we will see something like this here in Tennessee with Jimmy's church. Hopefully not. I am concerned for him.

There's not a question of animal cruelty in these cases. These guys know snakes--really know them. I've never seen them maltreated and they are actually fond of them. They don't name them or anything, but they always remember certain ones.

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I though that practice of useing snack and church we outlawed years ago.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Hugs and Blessings
    Kristin said...
    can we see your story rosie? how do we get to it?
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Rosie,
    Hope all is well with you. I look forward to reading the story soon. I am so proud of all your recent successes. I know there will be lots more. Take care and stay well.
    Hugs & Smiles,
    Leeuna
    Unknown said...
    You would think people would be happy to gather up all of the poisoness snakes these churches could find. It isn't as if they were biting the heads off of the snakes and using them for some sort of demon worship. As for people handling the snakes being bitten and dying....well it was their choice to take the snake in hand. I am hoping that Jimmy doesn't get caught up in any of this madness.

    Congratulations on your new serial story that you are writing. Please stop by the little house on the mountain for a visit. I have something there for you.

Post a Comment