Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Now & Then


Yes, I have come out of hiding to indulge in a bit of shameless self promotion. I just came out of an exhausting writing jag--toward the end of which I was falling into bed at 6:00 a.m. Had to up my prednisone to keep my eyes from exploding. Anyway, spent all day yesterday in bed after having discovered afresh the joys of bathing. Damn. I wish I drank. All of this would seem so much more glamorous if there were drugs or alcohol involved. As it is, it just sounds like me being a slob and failing to pull myself away from my work.

Anyhow. Back to me and a whole bunch of great articles and stories on the theme of "The Fabric of Appalachia." Now & Then is published by the Center for Appalachian Studies and Services at East Tennessee State University. The publication has serious legs and is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. This issue includes an article by Georgia Bonesteel on "Appalachian Quilting," Michael Joslin visits Apple Hill Farm in Watauga County, N.C. for "A New Face in the Fields: Alpacas in Appalachia," and Jeff Mann contributes "Here and Queer."
In short, all the Appalachian goodness you guys look for here--is in Now & Then.

So of course, I require you to BUY IT! At 15 bucks a subscription, it's a steal! And it's not just the high-brow literary pubs I usually appear in--this is real Appalachian stuff! And I'm just thrilled to have one of my Appalachian pieces in a real Appalachian pub. I've had good luck placing them in mainstream literary journals, but it's always great to be recognized on the home front.

A! Magazine for the Arts has a nice write-up HERE.

So off you goes! Get Now & Then or Yang, the literary karma goat, will come and pee on all your shoes.

1 Comment:

  1. Margy Rydzynski said...
    Well, hey there Ms. Rosie! I was wondering where you'd gone off to. The mag sounds interesting. Alas, I'm currently in "layoff" mode so spending on such goodies is temporarily out of the question.

Post a Comment