Friday, September 21, 2007


As you know…I’m a big fan of grilled, smoked and barbecued meats. I have a few very select preparations, one of which I’m going to share with you today.

The history of the Wilderness Chicken Marinade began on St. Simon’s Island, Georgia where my grandparents ran an Episcopal summer camp called Camp Reese. They used to grill chicken in an open pit dug on the beach and the campers would enjoy it there by the surf.

I’m not exactly sure if the Marinade was developed for the ocean side barbecues or if it was developed afterwards to duplicate the taste of chicken grilled over an open pit fire for the back porch grill. Either way…it really gives chicken the flavor of campfire roasted chicken.

This chicken was a weekend tradition at my home when I was growing up. I would sometimes be given the task of holding the water spray bottle to damp down the flames. The chicken always comes out a bit blackened and that it part of the recipe.

I didn’t actually use the marinade on the photos of the chicken I’m showing here. I grilled that out over my fire pit on my birthday. But it tastes and looks exactly like the Wilderness Chicken, complete with the smoke blackened skin.

Wilderness Chicken Marinade


7 parts peanut oil
1 part vinegar
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash Liquid Smoke
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
juice of one lemon

Combine all ingredients and marinade chicken parts overnight. Cook over charcoal turning frequently. Keep a spray bottle handy to damp down the flames.


This chicken is excellent cold the next day and also makes a fabulous smoky chicken salad mixed with walnuts, grapes, chives and fresh dill.

If you are really good, I might share my Jerked Wings Marinade. It’s a bit more complicated.


The Altar at Camp Reese

3 Comments:

  1. Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    The chicken looks great. A little carbon with your meal is all to the good. Using peanut oil, how Southern! I don't know anyone who uses it to cook with here. Have you had any guest have a bad reaction to it!Anaphalaxis!

    What causes these strange trees in South Carolina. The camp tree looks similar to the Angel tree
    http://www.angeloaktree.org/gallery.htm
    Angela said...
    Oh honey, that chicken looks soo good It makes me want to lick my monitor:-). Ironic your mentioning St. Simons Island. In 4 weeks we'll be going there. Well, actually we'll be on Tybee Island. But we are also going for the day to Jekyll Island and St. Simons. Have a great weekend sugar and Thanks for this yummy recipe. I'll be sure to post about it when I do this chicken and let ya know what I think . ((Hugz))
    Ellamama said...
    How good do you have to be for your barbeque sauce recipe?
    This chicken looks great! As my husband leans further into vegetarianism, I am looking at pork chops and chicken with a new sense of longing.

Post a Comment