Thursday, March 13, 2008

Asked and Answered


Under the direction of Andrea Lewis' Cocker Rescue in southeast Ohio, a placement was found for this guy in Chattanooga. As soon as the plans were in place to get him transported and dozens of people were involved in the pulling, transport and eventual placement of this guy--some angel walked into the shelter and adopted him. Everyone was very happy to call off the plans and we hope he and his new family enjoy a long and happy life together.

If you are that angel, drop me an email privately and let me know how he's doing. We all fell more than a little in love with him during this.

Anyway, I've been busy trying to catch up on my submissions all week. I've got about 25 out right now. If I can keep it at 30 cycling between the long responders and the short responders that should be sufficient. At least, that's the plan.

I'm thinking of doing another story cycle in May. I need to concentrate on neutral or upbeat stories for a bit. The majority of the stories I see printed in the literary journals are of this type. They don't engage the reader on an emotional level. They strive to engage the reader mentally and to be memorable--just not too memorable. They are fairly formulaic in that they start with a mundane circumstance, add an extraordinary or unusual event, then bring the narrator or protagonist back to a steady state. Half the time they don't bring the character to a steady state and just leave the story hanging--like the writer just stopped writing. The protagonist is changed very slightly--or not at all. What is to be interesting in this type of story is the protagonist's psychological contortions to the unusual event.

Yes, I find all this boring too. But I've read hundreds of published stories with this formula in the past few months. I'm not sure my voice is even capable of writing this type of story--and my everyday life is not terribly full of mundane circumstances using urban standards. I would need to time travel back to my life in the cities to get the sort of things I would need to write like this.

At any rate, I have a few months to think about this. I should make an effort I suppose.

4 Comments:

  1. Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    He is a lovely little pup. I am glad he found a home.

    I visit a classified online site and there are lots of lovely dogs and other animals available there.
    Many of the dogs are large. This is where I got Gage, my lovely companion.

    We just had a case in Alberta where they had to rescue a herd of starving horses. They have 100 they are trying to rehabilitate. WWW.rescue100.com
    bonnie said...
    Nice to read the good news. Congratulations!
    Anonymous said...
    Rosie, this is wonderful news. I'm so happy he found a good home. Bless you for your efforts and your kind heart.
    Hugs
    Leeuna
    threecollie said...
    I like your writing voice very much already...good news about the dog, glad he found a home.

Post a Comment