Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Need a Hero

Winston

I've been busy with rescue stuff and submissions.

I really need a hero for this guy in Elizabethton. He's so well housebroken, he's gotten constipated at the shelter. Time is running out and he gets put down this Friday. It's a small rural shelter and they just don't have room. So things are looking pretty bleak for Winston.

It's a sad fact that we just can't save them all. Rescues who don't recognize their limitations become little more than hoarders, but it still stings every time we lose one. But that's reality. There are so many lovely cockers and other purebred dogs in the shelters, on top of all the lovely mixed breeds, that we can't save them. Not all of them. All we can do is the best we can. It smarts, but there it is.

It's so crazy--the whole attitude I see here against spaying and neutering. And the people who won't spay or neuter their dogs and cats, are often the same people who say they can't bear to go to the shelter because it breaks their hearts. The same people who drop unwanted dogs off on the side of the road to starve to death because taking them to the shelter would be too cruel.

So they blame the shelters for their own crimes. They let the shelters clean up their messes because they are too lazy, uninformed or uncaring to take responsibility.

Yeah. It does chap my hide. It really does.

Pray for Winston, please.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Oh, Rosie. My heart is breaking for Winston. If I didn't have two rescued fur-babies already I'd go get him.
    I know what you mean about these things making you angry. I get so mad I could "cuss" sometimes. People are so stupid. If dogs aren't spayed or neutered, they will have unwanted puppies. When will people learn the facts of life? Sheesh!
    I'll be praying. Maybe someone will take him. I hope.

    Hugs
    Leeuna
    Nancy said...
    I wish I were close enough to help. My hubby, 'Pup, once had a cocker named Precious. He still talks about her and misses her.

    Curses upon those who leave an animal on the side of the road.
    Deanna said...
    Thanks for loving Winston and acting to save him!

Post a Comment