Monday, March 19, 2007


Just to let you guys know. Idgie, the editor, over at Dew on the Kudzu, has done gone and nominated me for The Million Writer's Award over at storySouth.

The Dew is the only ezine that publishes me on occasion. Primarily because Idgie contacted me first. As you all know, I am notoriously lazy about submitting my work to places. All that talk of SASE's and mean editor talk just makes my head swim and I end up saying screw it, I'll think about it next week. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a mean editor to whip my ass into shape now and again. Fish net hose and spike heels are strictly optional but highly recommended if you are interested in the job.

Everyone has been so supportive of my writing and I do recognize that I should make more of an effort to get out there and get published. I will try to do better. Next week, maybe.

The story that was submitted was Cat Fur Jelly. This was my story about my pilgrimage to Martha and Lizie's grave one fine spring day and my reverence for these two lovely, elderly mountain women who I never met. Re-reading it...it's a good story, but my verb tenses forgot to wear their underpants.

storySouth is a fairly well distinguished online literary journal that focuses on writers and writing from the "New" South. For this reason, it has not been on my short list of places to submit, but I'm quite sure there will be some excellent stories and writers nominated and the competition will be quite stiff.

The Million Writer's Award is open at this time to reader and editor submissions. You may nominate a 1000-plus word story that you have read or published as an editor as long as it has appeared in an online literary journal or ezine during 2006. Here are the rules.

If you are an editor of an online ezine or literary journal you may make your editor nominations on this page.

If you are a reader and would like to nominate one story you have read in an online literary journal or ezine you may make your reader nominations here.

Nominations will be accepted until April 15, 2007. Then 10 of those stories will be selected by the editor of storySouth and voting will begin on May 15th and continue through June 15th.


9 Comments:

  1. BBC said...
    Hum... I guess the only place I care to be published is on my blog.

    There is a book or two in me but I'm pretty sure I won't be putting them together.

    My stuff is for the future.

    Anyway, good luck.
    Anonymous said...
    Congradulations!
    PS- I recommended your blog to a friend. You and her seem to have a lot in common, me thinks. You can visit her if you like here.
    Idgie @ the "Dew" said...
    Best of Luck from Me - it's a great story...

    Idg
    Jessica Gottlieb said...
    Ooh I'm so happy for you.

    I'm so happy for me, it means you might write more, which means I get to read more without buying a book.

    Hooray for me!

    (did I mention I'm a narcissist?)
    Paul said...
    Good for you Rosie -
    seejanemom said...
    Oh...where do I votewheredoIvote???
    Erica said...
    Re: "Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a mean editor to whip my ass into shape now and again."

    Oh, Rosie, dahlink...you know all those times I daydream about trading lives with you, if even for one day?

    And then I say, "Nah...she'd never go for it, because she wouldn't want my mean, old editor."

    Well...you are more than welcome to have him, and trust me, if left to his own devices, he could whip Kim Jong Il's and Ahmadinejad's collective asses into shape.

    So...whaddaya say?

    Oh...and a great big Mazel Tov!
    Rosie said...
    Thanks so much everyone!

    Erica...more importantly...how does he look in fishnets? I know I said it wasn't required, but thought I would ask.
    Anne Johnson said...
    Teach your goats to eat the rejection letters. Sorry, but I'm very cynical about the publishing life. And you're a terrific writer, BTW.

Post a Comment