Thursday, August 14, 2008


It's a sad time of year for the giant moths. A Luna came beating against the screen the other night. I went out to look at her and she was on her last legs. Right after the eclosion is when it's good to get pictures of them. They've got all their fat and bright shiny powdered wings ready to spend that last week mating and egg laying. They only live a week in the imago form. Anyway, she was pale and frayed--her wings almost transparent. Near death. None of the green glory of a newly eclosed Luna. The Lunas are more likely to beat against the house then--it's like they go mad.

It makes me sad when they die like this. I could never do the pins and collecting thing. I just couldn't. I know how it's done, but they only live a week. Let them live that week. Besides, it's so easy just to wait for them with a porch light and a camera.

She took off with one last blaze and dove into the light. That's when I got her pictures here--and she is so beautiful in these last moments. Still--even with her pale frayed wings.

2 Comments:

  1. Cappy said...
    Dang Tinkerbelles!
    Anonymous said...
    Rosie, your photos are remarkable. You have a great eye for beauty. The moth does look like a tiny white fairy. I'm lovin' the serial story. I can't wait to see how they are going to get out of this. :)

Post a Comment