Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's Tuesday.


These are my favorite moths here. I took the picture of this one--I actually have many photos of them. It's the Tuliptree Silkmoth. It's as big as a bat. I wrote a story I'm shopping around that features them. Is it odd that I like moths so much?

So, I've been trying to get set up on Facebook and Twitter the past few days. I wanted a place where I can combine my blog friends and my lit friends. Facebook is sort of clunky. There are things that make it very difficult to manage and navigate. It pulled some people from my address book that shouldn't have been and there is no way to remove them. The links hang up on the site and you have to manually move them to the browser bar to get them to work.

I've been depriving myself of things that are bad for me. Money is tight so I can't deviate from my plan. But I have a feeling come the twentieth that I'm going to bake a chokkit cake and eat the entire thing. Or maybe a coconut refrigerator cake with berries in the filling. And lots of fruit. With ice cream.

7 Comments:

  1. Lee said...
    that moth looks like tiger maple and ash...definitely inlaid wood :) cake sounds good, not too much longer till the 20th
    Anonymous said...
    No offense, Rosie, but we had an infestation of Indian meal moths last year.
    Margy Rydzynski said...
    Oooh, don't start me on chokkit cake! Yah, bad me if I start going in that direction. Treated myself to an ice cream sundae last week and have to stop that, right now!

    Facebook is klugey, but I'm determined to learn how to use it. I'll see if we can connect. Been looking for an excuse to try out Twitter, which is all the rage. Guess I'll just start on in!
    nancorbett said...
    The picture of the moth reminds me of your story about the butterflies. Such a great story about how inexplicable are the passions of a species, butterfly or human.

    I was in Sedona the weekend before last and went hiking through a beautiful red-rock canyon along Oak Creek. All along the trail were dozens of huge yellow butterflies. They look like stained glass windows, large, yellow, with black lines and a few dots of blue on the tail. Lovely. They made me think of your story.
    nancorbett said...
    This picture reminds me of your story about the butterflies. Such a great story about how inexplicable are the passions of a species, butterfly or human.

    I was in Sedona last weekend and went hiking in a beautiful red rock canyon along Oak Creek. I saw dozens of those big yellow butterflies. They look like stained glass windows with yellow wings, black markings and a few dots of blue on their tales. They made me think of your story.
    Rosie said...
    Thanks Nancy, this is the moth that goes with the Saturniides story--the sort of creepy one.

    Lepidoptera really fascinate me the more I learn about them--beyond just the grade school metamorphosis thing. I started just taking photos of them.

    You ran into a swarm of two-tailed swallowtails--the western version of the Eastern Tigerfly. They are more ornate than our version. You are right--when swarmed they do produce a stained-glass effect.
    Anne Johnson said...
    Big moths! Loves it. I know Facebook is clunky, but I'm glad you're my friend. It's one place we can get to that Billy The Troll will never be invited.

Post a Comment