Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ah, r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r


This is the best time of year--on into the fall--to spot insects. I've already seen the first Tuliptree Silk Moth. Anyhow, this huge fellow was munching through a weed I'd kept in the border because it had big, okra-like leaves. He'd eaten quite a lot too. I love the markings on his back legs. Isn't there a children's story where the fairies ride grasshoppers? I can really see that with this guy.

He's a Spur-Throated Grasshopper:

Category: Grasshopper or Cricket
Common Name: Spur-throated Grasshopper
Scientific Name: (Melanoplus ponderosus)

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Insecta
Order: Orthoptera
Family: Acrididae
Genus: Melanoplus
Species: ponderosus


I got punked at our little one room post office today. I dropped by to mail my netflix movies so I could get movies on Saturday. Our regular mail guy was not visible when I walked in and the guy who takes the outgoing mail was kicked back in Tom's chair. He goes into this jaw dropping story about how he was left there to keep the post office open because they came and trucked Tom away in a straight-jacket, kicking and screaming--how he'd gone completely crazy--and, well--it is the post office. And I'm thinking, damn, these people in Grassy Fork will gossip about anything and Tom's family sure didn't need this getting around (while simultaneously wondering who I would tell first). We all had a good laugh. He was really believable.

I've so lived here too long already.

2 Comments:

  1. Margy Rydzynski said...
    Well! Quite the story. No, I'm sure Tom's family didn't need that floating around. But, you know what people are like...

    Nice bug. Big critter? We don't get them that big up here. They don't have time to grow, not with the winters we get. Freeze 'em right off the vine.
    Belle said...
    Great lolgoats! It would be fun if you would like to publish a goat or two on my webpage http://www.lolgoats.net

    Looking forward to hear from you :)

    Best regards /Isabelle, Sweden

Post a Comment