Friday, April 18, 2008


Steamed Sausage Dumplings(Pot Stickers)

While musing on how much the Pope would love our sausages here--not that he doesn't actually live in sausage heaven right now--I thought I'd document one of my favorite lunches for you. It changes according to what is good and fresh. Key limes are in right now and I used some of the juice on these.

I make these in an egg poacher since I'm just making them for one person and I like to have a little sauce in the bottom of the cups as they steam. If you are making lots of them, you can put them in your favorite steamer device. Even a metal colander over a pot of boiling water will do it.

Steamed Sausage Dumplings

1 Packet Wanton or Eggroll Wrappers
Sausage (uncooked)
Green Scallions
Shredded Carrot
Shredded Bok Choy or Chinese Cabbage
Finely Diced Celery
Fresh Pressed Ginger
1/2 Clove Garlic
1/2 juice of a key lime
toasted sesame seeds

Shred and cut all vegetables into a bowl, then using a garlic press, dribble a bit of ginger, garlic and lime juice over the vegetables. Lay out the wrappers and place a dab of vegetables in the center of the wrapper. Then place a small ball of sausage on top and close the wrapper. You will need to wet the wrapper edges to get them to stick. I will sometimes dampen my hands and squeeze the dumpling into a ball. Place on the steamer with the joined side down. Sprinkle with taosted sesame seeds and dab with sauce. Steam for approximately 8 minutes on high. Serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce

1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic

Heat under a low heat until all ingredients have combined. This is my basic soy dipping sauce. I do some variations with wasabi and with miso--more sugar, less sugar, etc. It's very good to on all sorts of things and caramelizes well when you point a propane kitchen torch at it.



This is a very nice meal if served with a bowl of miso soup and some cucumbers in the salad portion. They make a very nice appetizer too. The nice thing about steamed pot stickers is that you don't have all the frying fat and they are just so much simpler to make. You can throw these together in about 15 minutes and everyone thinks you are a genius. It's the sort of thing I grab when I want something quick but very satisfying.

Obviously you can do these with other things--they are wonderful with shrimp or ground turkey. Or you can keep them vegetarian.

That egg poacher pan is a brilliant little thing. I don't poach eggs in it very often, but I do things like this and I make savory steamed custards with them too.


5 Comments:

  1. Mike Golch said...
    sound good to me.
    threecollie said...
    That sounds so good!
    Peggy said...
    got to try this! I am bad not to cook much when William is gone but this recipe is something easy for one person...thanks! Sorry to read about your stroke and eye. Hang in there and don't forget you have lots of friends sending out prayers, good thoughts, jujus and every other thing we can think of. Love the little goat! She is so beautiful!
    Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    What is the hillbilly part of this meal! "Maybe you ment "hilbilly" because it is a favourite of the Clintons. :)
    Kristin said...
    yum!
    i make dumplings like this sometimes, but i've never steamed them. i usually dump them in soup.

    i'm gonna try this with some left over chicken.

Post a Comment