Friday, April 11, 2008

I don’t have a picture of these for you but I did want to tell you about them. They are just too yummy. I may make a mess of them tonight and will try to take a photo for you.

We are huge on sweet potatoes here in the south, particularly where I’m from back in South Carolina. They do sweet potatoes here but almost always they are of the candied yam variety. Big chunks of sweet potato glazed with sugar. I really haven’t seen any of the many variations on sweet potato here that I grew up with.

I think I first had sweet potato fries at a health food restaurant in Atlanta. They had an amazing veggie burger there. A little know fact about me is that I spent half my life as a vegetarian. What else would you expect from a girl with a tail?

I’ve made them in a variety of ways over the years but I think the way I fixed them last night was perhaps the best. I have yet to invest in a fry-baby to do tempura and I think that will be my next experiment with them.

You first peel and cut up your sweet potato into fries. It’s sort of hard the way I do it with a knife. You may have a tool that does it better. Rinse them in cold water, then dredge them in self-rising flour and sesame seeds. Fry them in a pan with the bottom just covered in vegetable oil until they are golden brown then transfer them to a cookie sheet covered in paper towel. Stick in a low oven until they finish cooking. While still hot, shake a generous amount of Cajun seasoning on them.

These are really good! Give ‘em a try!

4 Comments:

  1. MK said...
    Sesame seeds? Yum!
    Unknown said...
    I had heard of sweet potato fries before, but never came across anything that even resembled a how -to fix them. Now thanks to you I can give them a whirl. Any thing with cajun seasoning is right up JD's alley. I are the carbs lower for sweet potatoes as compaired to white potatoes? Just planning ahead on how much gorging I can do.

    Sending you lots of positive energy to deal with your vision issues.
    Mike Golch said...
    sweet potato fries,man I love them. Now if I can just find a great home mad sweet potato pie,I'd be in heaven.
    Jbeeky said...
    I LOOOOOOVE sweet potato fries. I have never had them with sesame seeds and will try it!

Post a Comment