Friday, December 22, 2006

The Labor Continues....

Since a few of you asked about Blinkin' ...she's fine. No kids as of yet.

I got her up on the milkstand late last night and palpated her abdomen. It was really cool to feel the kids kick back. There are at least two of them in there. Wouldn't it be cool if she had triplets? Around two a.m. she decided she'd had enough of being separated from the herd and slipped her collar so she could go sleep with her grown daughter, Nod.

I've got her on the back porch now with a nest of clean straw. I'm not really worried about her since she doesn't seem to be very worried for herself. I think her milk has a ways to draw down yet. Her udder should get even more full before she freshens. She is starting to make funny goat noises and is nipping at her flanks. I think I could still have 24 to 48 hours until kidding. I'm not sure since I've never seen Blinkin' kid before and I don't know what her usual routine is.

I'm going to try to get pictures of the actual kidding if I can. I may be too busy, but hopefully she'll not need any help.

Needless to say, it's hard for me to concentrate on my writing while I'm in my role of goatherd.

I went to town to get supplies today. My buddy, Scott, went along with me. It was sort of nice having someone make the rounds with me to the Co-op and the Farm Supply. We ate lunch at the dreadful Chinese place. Scott really likes it. There used to be a really good authentic place, but the Chinese buffet is more popular with the locals. They do serve frog legs and I do like a nice frog leg now and again. And it's way better than what they call Chinese food in the UK. I'm not sure what curry on chips has to do with Chinese food. I never got that.

I'm wondering what to name the new babies. Do you think I'd go to hell if I named one "Jesus"?

I wonder how that would look on the ADGA registration if I bother with it. "Old Maid's Aerie's Jesus Marimba". I sort of like the sound of that.

Yeah. It's definitely getting warm in here.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Aw, that's easy; first, answer me, do you say it "Hay-Zeus" or "Jaehzz-us". I believe one of them is a certain ticket to hell, yes, indeed I do, but I can't remember which.

    God be thanked, there's no reason to worry about it.

    The Rev. JohnieB

Post a Comment