Friday, October 19, 2007

Memphis -Style Barbecue Done Right!

When I first moved here, which was not that long ago, it was a scary little Exxon station with a full service garage. I think it might have been a game check point. You’d see hunters drive up with bears hanging out of the back of their pick-up trucks. I also had to drive to White Pine, about 30 miles away, for a six pack of really good beer. But a few years ago all of that changed when The Pigeon River Smokehouse took over the property and turned it into a really nice place to stop and eat.

It's been really amazing to watch how they turned that little service station into a spacious store and restaurant with a really beautiful modern kitchen with a wood smoker. The wide porches have picnic tables and rockers on them where you can take your barbecue and eat just steps away from the Pigeon River. As barbecue joints go...this one is really nice!

I’ve been a bit remiss in not writing them up sooner. They’ve been supplying my pulled pork sandwich habit for a while now. So, I decided to remedy that and marched in and ordered “The Works” yesterday. I tackled the Barbecue Combo.

This is a plate of smoked meats that will knock your socks off. Barbecue chicken, thinly sliced beef, pulled pork and ribs with French fries and a side of either cole slaw or baked beans. Two enormous slabs of garlic Texas toast come with it as well. I’m told both sides are excellent but the beans I had are truly outstanding. There is so much meat on this plate that I highly recommend bringing a very healthy appetite. I couldn’t finish mine and will be eating off the leftovers for a few days.

They smoke the meats in a modern wood smoker back in the kitchen using red oak. It’s a bit more of a subtle smokiness than some barbecue that I’ve enjoyed…and you know me…my barbecue addiction is legendary. I’ve enjoyed quite a bit of it in my lifetime. They serve it properly, with the sauce on the side.

Absolutely do try to save room for dessert. They also do a really outstanding Sweet Potato Pie with a nut crumb crust. I’m admittedly something of a Sweet Potato Pie snob, coming from South Carolina where this is practically the State Pie. But I give this pie a serious “thumbs up”. It's definitely worth saving some room for.



The Pigeon River Smokehouse is located off of I-40 just off the #447/Hartford exit on the river side of the interstate. I highly recommend stopping there if you are coming through on your way between Asheville and Knoxville. It’s just as you come out of or enter the big mountain pass that stretch of interstate services, so it’s a great place to stop.

8 Comments:

  1. Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    I haven't had sweet potato pie since I left Roxbury, Mass. where I ate soul food in a little greasy spoon.

    Does your place also serve, smothered chicken, collard greens, grits and black eyed peas???? I love that comfort food.
    bluemountainmama said...
    oh my!! nothin' like that around these parts. i miss the south! i'll be passin' this along to my dad..... he might rival you as a bbq addict and connoiusseur (sp?)
    Rosie said...
    Hey Philip...no...this place is in a different food sub genre than soul food...though there is some overlap once in a while.

    You are more likely to get a meal like that at my home, since that is the food I grew up on. Sweet Potato Pie is actually very easy to make and I'll prolly re-run my recipe for it closer to our Thanksgiving. It was my father's very most favorite treat.
    Mary said...
    The food in this place looks delicious. I love BBQ and also southern comfort food. One of the best meals I've ever eaten was in a little restaurant just north of the Georgia/Florida border.

    Thanks for sharing this delicious meal. The next time I'm in the area I'll try to look it up.

    Have a great day.
    Mary
    Audubon Ron said...
    I L's BBQ and that plate looked inviting. I have been known to actually fling BBQ sauce as far as a nearby curtain in my frenzy. I take a pocket knife along to dig under the finger nails. I'm a wolf.
    wen said...
    that pie sure looks good. :) how's the house stuff going? hope all is well with that journey!
    GUYK said...
    That sure looks good...my kinda eating.
    Anonymous said...
    It's not quite 7 am and looking at that delicious food is making me hungry...{{sigh}}} I'm off to have a bowl of cereal.

Post a Comment