Sunday, October 14, 2007

Commmming.....


And Goooooing.....


HISSSSSS......

I ran into this guy on the road on the backside of the property. I think he's a copperhead, but he may be a corn snake. Prolly a copperhead. I rarely see non-venomous snakes here unless they have something like chicken eggs to go after. I, unfortunately, had to kill a big seven foot black snake once. She got into the chicken coop and ate all the fake plastic Easter eggs I'd put in the nesting boxes to encourage the hens to lay. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have survived with all that plastic in her. The snakes have been on the move for the past two weeks. They cross the hill to go down the mountain to sleep for the winter in the crevasses and crannies of rotten stone.

Happy Ssssthunday.

4 Comments:

  1. Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    I am not a big snake lover. We do not have poisonous snakes here. About 50 miles from here there is an area where there ar Massasauga Rattlesnakes which are under threat of extinction.
    Paul said...
    Ugh. Hard to imagine a stomache ache that LONG...

    Once we had a pigeon fly through our glass front door. When we looked at it afterward, it was clear, from the remaining glass, what had happened. It reflected the bright blue sky perfectly.

    It wasn't bleeding, amazingly, but it took about half an hour for us to manage to coax it out the back door in its panicked confusion.
    Mary said...
    I'm also not a snake lover. In summer we walk Meeko, our Alaskan Malamute, along the canal not far from here. I rarely go down the path we used for so long and in the last couple of years it has become infested with snakes - not poisonous ones, but snakes just the same.

    Meeko and I walk at the other end of the park along a stream. There are probably snakes there as well, but we've never seen one. Meeko loves to chase snakes and I'm certainly wouldn't be impressed if he caught one, so I just avoid them.

    Great photos. Hope you have a great week.

    Mary
    Jbeeky said...
    Eeeeeew! That really brings out the screechy girl in me. I do love the image of a 7 footer eating Easter eggs!

Post a Comment