Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Spring on Hall's Top


I went up to the spring tonight after putting the animals up to get a few gallons of spring water.

It's a PVC pipe sticking out of the side of the hill in front of the old abandoned Thompson Branch Baptist Church on Hall's Top Road. Scott tells me that the old fellow who was pastor here used to hold services for years to an empty church. This has only been a few years back. The mountain is already busy taking over the little lot.

It's wonderful water. It tastes like what the bottled spring waters are supposed to taste like. It's hard to describe if you've never had it, but it is sort of sweet. It comes out of the mountain ice cold on the hottest days of the year. My own water was like this before the pump fiasco and hopefully will be again once all the charred plastic taste has faded from my pipes.

This is the spring that Caidy, in my story, Bone Soup, that I'm writing would have walked by on her way to and from school. She might have stopped to have a drink or wash her face on a hot day.

I'm enjoying a tall glass of this water right now. Wish you could join me.

2 Comments:

  1. bluemountainmama said...
    i'm comin' over now! :) we have the same thing down the road, coming out of the side of a mountain right by the road. people are always stopped there filling up jugs. it's been tempting to stop, but i'm not sure if it's safe to drink.....
    Jbeeky said...
    That is what Maine water tastes like to me when I visit. Almost sweet. Lovely.

Post a Comment