Friday, June 06, 2008

I was given this amazing leaf lettuce today along with some stunning onions from a local home garden. I just finished eating a salad made with both.

This sort of lettuce is most often prepared lightly wilted in a bit of bacon fat here--but I've never become accustomed to the idea of cooking lettuce. I've done some nice wilted spinach salads but lettuce--not so much.

I love when the fresh produce starts coming in. We are enjoying the Florida cantaloupes already. I had one that rivaled South Carolina cantaloupes(if you've had these, you know what I mean) I purchased at the Morristown Farmer's Market this past Monday.

I also purchased one of the best pink Brandywine tomatoes I've ever had there. A few chayotes and some amazing Peaches & Cream corn. I got a hugeous red papaya--and I confess to eating the entire thing when I got home.

When I was growing up in Bluffton, SC, a local family kept a large open air fruit stand on 278. There were amazing roadside fruit and vegetable stands in that area then and my mother was well acquainted with them all. When I was a teenager, my friend, Elizabeth, and I would cruise by there and get bags of fresh cherries. Elizabeth was the most beautiful girl of all the summer girls--blond and busty, she made traffic stop from the time she was eleven. Precocious she was. I never could get the hang of tying that stem in a knot with my tongue. Oh--I could do it--I just looked like a dog with a peanut butter cracker stuck to the roof of its mouth.

I'd love to hear about any special produce that impressed you this season. How is your garden coming along? What did you plant?

********************************

Unrelated--I'm a big fan of watching my spam folder. Got this funny one in today.

Increase ur VALU

Bacheelor, MasteerMBA, and Doctoraate diplomas available in the field of your choice that's right, you can even become a Doctor and receive all the benefits that comes with it!

Our Diplomas/Certificates are recognised in most countries

Maybe that's what I need. Get me one of them there Doctoraate degrees. Then folks will recognise me.

7 Comments:

  1. Annabella said...
    My friend gives me stuff from her garden. One week we had a salad made of three different kinds of lettuce. The next week we made fried zucchini, last week she gave me two kinds of squash. I am looking forward to the tomatoes! She is also growing corn, spinach, carrots, artichokes and asparagus.

    I don't grow veggies myself but I have some beautiful lilacs, maples, roses and poppies. I am trying to grow two kinds of mint and some rosemary. ( I don't have time to tend anything daily...)

    Eden
    Lee said...
    I have a giant SC cantaloupe on the kitchen counter, purchased from the back of a truck at the farmer's market just this morning :)
    Anonymous said...
    Still early season here in the Pacific NW. The larger farms at the farm market have acres and acres under plastic tents so they have lots of greens (I love the Lacinato kale), salad mixes with nice bitter greens, leeks, young onions, new potatoes (German Butterball, expensive but the really tiny ones are oh so nice steamed and then sauteed), and so on. Asparagus. We've had nice oregano, mint, lettuces, and raab from our favorite local farm. Strawberries just started coming in, that's our current favorite, without a doubt. Those potatoes are close.
    Margy Rydzynski said...
    Like the Pacific NW, the northeast is still in its early growing season. It's been exceptionally cold up here, too, much moreso than usual. Still, I've got a mint garden, oregano, rosemary, thyme and very cold basil growing. I'm hoping to get the green beans and tomatoes in sometime this weekend. Yes, there's still time for that up here, but the window's closing.

    I had some arugula that came in nicely, since it likes the cold. That's long gone, though!

    Margy
    Anonymous said...
    that salad looks really good.
    Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    Go ahead and get yourself some of those "sirtiffacats". You can hang them on the wall and cover the damage from throwing things.:)

    Fresh local produce has not reached us. Soon we will be able to pick strawberries and make a little jam and other goodies like strawberry shortcake.

    We have to settle for picking some wild greens.
    bonnie said...
    I had my first side dish from my garden about a week ago - Swiss chard, beet tops (beginning thinning), and lambs' quarters (I know it's supposed to be a weed but it's a very pleasant-tasting weed), all ever so lightly steamed - that's it!

    Let's see, in addition to the beets & chard & the weeds both edible & inedible - Tomatoes, heirlooms from our club's professional chef, plus volunteer cherry tomatoes from last year; peppers; sugar snap peas; green onions (including one volunteer from last year that's gonna be the size of a leek if it keeps going at the rate it has been); cucumbers, a variety of herbs. I keep saying I have to get parsley 'cause I've got sage, rosemary & thyme. And basil, can't wait 'til I have enough for pesto again!

    And flowers!

    Everything's been growing like mad, although this heat wave may be rough on the peas.

    Didn't make it out to the club at all this week - we had enough rain that I didn't need to, which was good 'cause I was chained to my desk all week. Can't wait to see it tomorrow. A week is long enough for visible change!

    No squashes. That was too tragic with the squash borers last year.

Post a Comment