Thursday, December 27, 2007

So... I picked up my mail from the mailbox on Christmas Day. Not that mail was delivered, but I don't get down to the mailbox unless I'm driving off the land.

What should be in the mail but my very first rejection letter! Actually, it wasn't a true rejection letter, but one telling me that my story wasn't chosen to win a certain award. So that's more like saying someone else was better(totally possible and okay)....or we were in a mood to choose another story with a different tone...or you forgot to set your font to courier on your manuscript so we didn't read it.

And, ironically, the rejection comes from the same place that I got both of my degrees from. So this can only be a good sign.

I found myself sort of elated. Really, it was quite exciting. It's the first time someone has said "no" to my writing. I've been playing it safe for a long time since I wasn't sure if I could deal with all the rejection until recently. I'm glad I did this, since now that I'm actually ready...it doesn't sting nearly as much as I thought it would.

And I know...The Dark Hole is a really great story. I'm certain it will eventually get the validation it deserves. If I'd started submitting things earlier, I don't think I would have had the self confidence to feel as good as I do about being rejected.

It's sort of like a rite of passage for me. It will no doubt loose its charm after the fiftieth such letter, but for now, it's rather like a validation for me. I'm a real writer out there getting real rejection letters.

Whoo-Hoo! The training wheels are off!

7 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    You go girl!!!
    Karen Smithey said...
    Yay for you! I've an idea that most writers collect many of those letters over their lifetime...and now you're on your way!

    And another thought: you've now experienced the worst that can possibly happen when you send your work out into the world. This was the worst, someone saying "No, thank you." I need to send some things out, so I can get some rejection letters, too.
    Audubon Ron said...
    Yes the Dark Hole is a great story. I haven’t read it, but two f**king rejections in one day might be much.

    Happy New Year Rosie. You’re a fine writer. WTF do they know.
    Nancy said...
    Keep send'n them in....

    Most professional writers have a huge stack of rejection letters...make it a collection. See how many different wordings you can get, until.........

    the day comes when it AIN'T a rejection letter, but a CHECK that comes through the mail.
    Hayden said...
    Go for it Rosie, congrats!

    I have this bizarre theory that I need to accumulate some undefined number of rejection letters before I can get an acceptance - like 25, or 50 or something. It's a magical thing. Trouble is, I still haven't submitted anything, so I haven't started my collection yet. sigh.
    Jbeeky said...
    Good for you! You are such a gifted writer, it is only a matter of time. You are in great company of wonderful writers who eventually were embraced and loved!
    threecollie said...
    I have a couple of those and I truly understand your feelings. When I got a hand written one with suggestions for improvements I was thrilled. lol
    Just keep sending because you know your stuff is well worthy of publication!

Post a Comment