Sunday, February 25, 2007


It was a few nights ago that I woke up to thunder and lightning crashing across the mountains in the distance. It lit up my bedroom with that eerie blue light that makes your skin itch. It is another harbinger of spring. I quite enjoy lightning storms. Unless I'm out pounding metal T-posts on the other end of the farm and have to skedaddle back to the house.

As you can see, Bridey is doing exceptionally well. She's as tall as the other kids now but still very delicately boned and "dairy". That is a good thing for the type of goat that she is. I'm afraid I need to re-do her disbudding. What I did doesn't seem to have taken. Violette is strong and stodgy and thick again. One of her eyes is a bit weepy and I need to see what she's gotten into this time. Looks like Violette is going to have a bit of a learning cure as to what is safe to get into or not.

Yesterday, I began the task of re-routing the fence lines. Pounding T-posts is very hard work up here with the rocks. I also went up and made repairs to the grain storage. Lucky, when he was still here, had used his horns to pry off the boards of the structure. I pulled out the grain bins and cleaned them out and left them to dry. Somewhere in the middle of this, I ran out of steam and had to go back to the house for a nap. I hate leaving tasks in the middle of things, but sometimes I just have to go and give the body what it needs. A nap.

I overslept and woke up to the darkness and howling wind. Since I live perched atop a 300 foot cliff, the wind gusts sometimes reach 60 miles per hour. My little house sits on a double foundation to absorb the buffeting winds. My closest neighbor who is just above me, built his cabin without such a foundation. The wind moved the entire house 10 feet one night. I've seen the wind pick up rocks here.

I then remember my feed bins. Damn. I'd meant just to lay down for a bit then go back up and fill the bins and put them securely in the repaired enclosure. The enclosure is designed to keep goats out and feed bins from flying off the mountain. So now, both feed bins are blown away. I was able to retrieve the bins, but the lids are probably somewhere between the here and the cow pasture 300 feet down. And it's not like I can go buy new lids for them. They are useless without the lids.

But it may be time to move on to something more secure anyway. The dogs have evidently loaned the goats the opposable thumb they use to get into things. I'm now having to put a padlock with a key on the milk goat's feed. The cabinet has a perfectly serviceable latch. But this morning I come down to find that they have opened it up and feasted on goat milk enhancer. To do this they had to, first, open the latch to the cabinet. Then remove the lid that is securely bungeed the bin inside the cabinet.

I am soooo taking that damn opposable thumb away once I find the smart ass goat who has it.

8 Comments:

  1. aaron ambrose said...
    oy!I have the same problem with the fourleggeds....and the wind....but frida, the younger llama, has quite a knack for lid prying. Llamas have this split upper lip thing goin' on and they work independently of eachother like fingers. She loves to open the dog/cat food bin and snarf down cat food....go figure.
    thats some wind you've got there....makes me feel better to know others wind trials.....my camper shell from my truck was picked up by the wind and now sits on my neighbors land. I've probably got some socks from the laundry line over there as well.....sigh
    Jbeeky said...
    I'm surprised it doesn't break your windows! So there is no way to get the lids back?
    Rosie said...
    jbeeky, yes, but it involves lowering a wirey little boy named Adam down on a rope and harness. Also, I can't see them, so I'm not quite sure where to send Adam down for them.
    BBC said...
    Boy, those are some winds where you live. We get some here, but they don't last long and my place is pretty well put together, it was built by poor folks many years ago but they worked in a sawmill and the studs are four by fours instead of two by fours.

    When I lived in the high country of Utah on 60 acres I hired a couple of young strong guys to drive the tee posts for the fence for the horses.

    I swear, a lot of that place was solid rock. Where we couldn't drive them at all I welded stands to hold them upright.

    And built rock cages with wire in the corners, if you know what I mean by that, they work very well.

    If I think of it I will send off a check to you tomorrow for some of the goat fudge.
    Anonymous said...
    We had a big tree come across the house that night, but the tent we store the hay under was still stnading- mostly due to having the legs tied to the cattle panel frme underneath- I'll blog about it in a little later after I go out and milk, but I think I'll lie back down a bit first since it was a goat emergency at a my hay man's brother's house last night at midnight. Oy!

    Anonymous goat yoda.....
    Hayden said...
    wow, that's wind!

    amused by the antics of your goats. there are landscaping companies out here that use goats - I tried it last year and it was an utter disaster. They couldn't keep them inside the fence they put up.
    BBC said...
    Yeah, I bought a goat at an auction once. Just trying to keep it in a pen was a joke. It was always getting out and looking in the window on the porch.

    Or trying to play with the neighborhood dogs and such.

    What a hoot that goat was. I should blog about that someday.
    Anne Johnson said...
    You go, Beautiful Bridey!

Post a Comment