Wednesday, November 14, 2007

There's this one day....

...every fall. When I look at the trees and I realize, this is it. This is the day when the color has peaked. From here on out is will be the slow falling death of brightness onto the ground. The color will fade like blood drying after a very long while. And it won't come back no matter how much water you add. Today was that day.

I drove into town with the Fat Buddy for his follow-up. Perhaps it was that it was overcast, but the saturation was such on the leaves that I was reminded why so many people come here to see them. We are one of the southernmost places where you can go to see a real autumn.

Fat Buddy is doing well. The vet was pleased with his progress. We'll keep him on another week of antibiotics to be on the safe side.

I mention to her that I was pretty sure that Old Man had a heart attack. Old Man tries to bite her every time he comes in. So he has to wear a muzzle.

She stops suddenly and asks me, "Did he die?!"

"Oh, no...I was sort of sure he was going to, but he seems fine now. He climbed the stairs last night so he could sleep in the bedroom."

Old Man is the Fred Sanford of cocker spaniels. He threatens to die with such frequency that its gotten to be a joke.

"But, you know," she says, "you are going to call me boo-hooing about it when he does die and you are going to miss him just like the rest."

"I know," I say, "But even the flies think he's dead. They keep blowing him."

But, at least Fat Buddy has nice sweet breath now. Which is a good thing since he loves getting all kissy with you. He was starting to think I was seeing another dog.

4 Comments:

  1. Hayden said...
    glad to hear that fat buddy is doing better!
    KMTBERRY said...
    That is ONE CUTE COCKER! You know, given his exploits (and his name), I would have thought he would actually be FAT. But he really isn't. He's just GORGEOUS!!

    What a face!
    Rosie said...
    Thanks, Y'all.

    K...he is adorable, and I will pass on the complement to him, though he's quite full of himself already. He actually is quite fat. He weighed 43.8 pounds that day. He was 55 pounds when he first came to me and I got him down to 34 which is where he should be. But...with middle age spread and all. Plus he got into a 50 pound bag of dogfood the day before his weigh-in. Yes...he does have a sweet face.
    Mary said...
    Rosie,

    I'm so sorry to hear about Old Man. I do hope he recuperates. Exactly how old is he?

    I'm glad that Fat Buddy is doing much better. He is so cute. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Mary

Post a Comment