Saturday, September 29, 2007


...that the clarity of the light from my balcony this morning was simply stunning.

Beginning on Monday, I will begin the SMB horror-grotesque-spooky-ghost story-a-thon. One entire month of me working out four full length, original short stories here on the blog. This is a challenge I have put up for myself...you can follow along if you wish.

I will be posting segments of the stories on Monday through Wednesday and on Saturdays for the entire month of October. Thursday will be optional. Fridays will be FPF as usual and Sunday's will be Happy Sunday as usual.

Here are the stories. They are plotted out, but unwritten so I'll be writing from the seat of my pants as usual. And I sort of like the idea of writing all these at the same time.

1. Carolina Special

An old man finally relives a terrifying night that he worked on the Carolina Special traveling from Spartanburg, S.C. to Knoxville, TN on October 31, 1923. As if scaling Saluda Mountain, one of the most treacherous stretches of rail in the US at the time, were not enough...the veil between the worlds grew dangerously thin...and he sees things from the engine of the Carolina Special that no man is meant to see.

Yep, folks...looks like we got us here a ghost train!

(note...I'm hoping and pretty sure I'll get lots of research tips from rail enthusiasts on this one!)

Rated for: Supernatural, Fantasy, Ghost Stories, trains

2. Sugar and Brimstone

A young mountain girl harbors a crush on a very, very bad man. Luckily, for her, it is entirely unrequited. She witnesses his crimes, his death and has as disturbing vision of his damnation.

Rated for: Violence, Gothic, Horror, Supernatural

3. Stir with a Knife

You've already met my evil quilter. But how did she become an Appalachian version of one of the Fates? How did she get that way?

Rated for: Horror, Supernatural, Grotesque

4. The Dark Hole

The most difficult story I've attempted. Dark, racially charged and dealing with many of the stereotypes of Appalachia that I've wanted to avoid. It's been festering like an open sore since I put it down last. It is the most O'Connor-esque story I've ever attempted. I'm determined to finish it this month.

Rated for: Grotesque, Horror, Violence

Are you excited? I am.

6 Comments:

  1. Deanna said...
    I am very excited! I can't wait!

    Oh, and mom wants you to send us your view!
    Leeuna said...
    Oh, Rosie,
    I am so looking forward to this. I will be waiting with baited breath,(whatever-the-heck that is). The view in Tennessee is so lovely isn't it. We went up to the Beauty Spot on Unaka mountain last week and they have let the whole place grow up with weeds and bushes. The overlook is no longer of any use. You can't see anything for the trees. This used to be the most spectacular view in the world. Now it's gone back to the Wilderness group.

    Have a good Sunday.
    hugs,
    Leeuna
    Anonymous said...
    I am TOTALLY S*T*O*K*E*D !!!!!!!
    Karen Smithey said...
    I can't wait to read these! I'll be back to check them out...
    threecollie said...
    I do just love your stories...after a few short months of reading smbd I feel like I am coming to know your region and people.
    bluemountainmama said...
    ooohhh, i just love me a good spooky story! can't wait! :)

    and the morning light....yes, i DO believe you! i experience it every morning getting sir laughsalot ready for school....

Post a Comment