Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Refried Tivo Alert!!!

So, once again, I've missed a program that I was supposed to watch. I was wondering where all the hits for Pastor Jimmy and Popcorn Sutton were coming from. And why a production company out of the Midwest was caching the entire blog.

But a new reader filled me in.

This past Sunday the History Channel aired "Hillbilly The Real Story".

The two-hour special, hosted by celebrity Billy Ray Cyrus, brings these mythic people to life through stories that span 300 years. Outcast immigrants, war heroes, isolated backwoodsmen, hard working miners, fast moving moon shiners, religious warriors, musicians and statesmen make up the rugged cast of characters.

I assume this is the program that they were filming all day during Pastor Jimmy's homecoming celebration. Popcorn Sutton is evidently in it. Hopefully my mug will not be getting in any shots, but it would be nice if they got Friend Scott singing.

But not to worry...they are re-airing it tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. and at 2:00pm.

I've heard some mixed reviews about whether or not they got it "right" or not.... but will reserve comment until I've actually seen it. Not sure about the use of his Achey-Brakey-ness for a narrator. I guess Wilford Brimley was booked.

7 Comments:

  1. Daisy Deadhead said...
    I missed this! Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to catch it and hope YOU are in it, too!

    I am in the last 15 minutes of the History Channel's (three-hour) "Secret History of the ku klux klan"--I'm so proud. I am yelling and hollering and trying to break down one of those saw-horse things, and in general, being a powerhouse-anti-klan nuisance. (I was 19 years old and I looked fabulous, too!) I think they chose to focus in on me in close-up because I am white and blond; I was wearing a "Virgo" t-shirt. (Also, the hollering, of course--you can hear me bellowing "PIGS!" pretty distinctly! :P)

    Even more than that, my (now-deceased) mother saw it first and called me immediately, very proud. (((tearful))) I wouldn't even have known about it, if she hadn't told me.

    It's nice to be a part of history! Hope you will be, too, Rosie!

    PS: Billy Ray was terrific in MULHOLLAND DRIVE!
    Rosie said...
    Hey Daisy..

    Actually, I caught the tail end of it and I retract my snark about Billy Ray...His speaking voice is very lovely. Still, I would like to hear Iris Dement narrate one of these. I'm going to watch the whole thing at 2 today. A friend called and said they did get some shots of Pastor Jimmy handling and some sound bites of him preaching. So that's good.
    Peggy said...
    crap, I would check your blog after 3pm. Going to go see if I can catch at least part of it.
    Anne Johnson said...
    Taped it. Going down to watch it now. They should have gotten Lee Smith to narrate it. Glad I know your pastor is in it! I'm gonna freeze frame until I see you!
    Rosie said...
    I'm not in it! Yay!

    They subtitled Pastor Jimmy. Which I thought was pretty funny. I have no trouble understanding him.
    threecollie said...
    I finished reading this post yesterday, got up, walked into the living room and the boss was watching this exact show. Amazing bit of serendipitous-ness.
    samuel said...
    The subtitles kind of bothered me on some level, probably that place that wants to see southerners portrayed as normal. But I've noticed some shows will subtitle anyone with an accent. Maybe I just think that people should just try a little harder.

    Billy Ray bothered me because much of the time his accent sounded as if it were an affectation. I kept thinking I was catching him pronouncing the same word differently, as if he sometimes forgot to say it southern. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that sort of thing

Post a Comment