Monday, April 21, 2008

Max.


I am a strict dog mother. Oh, yes I am----Oh, yes I am. Really.

Cocker spaniels are well aware of their cuteness. The genetically modified generations of long floppy ears and big sad puppy eyes that last way beyond puppyhood. Like spoiled beauty queens, they manipulate us, using their assets to get what they want.

They are masters at this.

Early on I started the “nothing for free” program. You want a cookie? Okay, do something. Sit. At the very least you could freaking sit.

I’m not sure when or at what point Max turned this around on me. But he has indeed done exactly that.

Now, Max demands a cookie for the simplest of actions. At bedtime, he needs bribing to go to bed. In the morning, he needs another bribe to leave his crate and another to walk outside. To come inside, even when he had scratched on the door to come in, he waits for a cookie before coming in the house. He even requires a cookie for that most desired of treats, a ride in the car to the mailbox.

How did this happen?

I’m not living with a cocker spaniel. I’m living with a corrupt South American bureaucrat.

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I know the feeling Rosie. My littlest fur baby has to have a cookie before I leave the house, otherwise she will scratch at the door and cry and it makes me so sad I go back inside. Yes, this causes me to be late sometimes. They sure have us trained well, don't they?
    Hope you're feeling lots better.
    Take care and enjoy the spring flowers.
    Hugs
    Leeuna
    Daisy said...
    Beautiful doggie!!! (((kiss kiss kiss)))
    Mike Golch said...
    our pets just take over.Harvey has done that to us.He has to have running water,he ends up snorting the water from his bowl when he drinks from that so we have to put him pu to the faucet and let hinm drink that way.
    Sue Doe-Nim said...
    If you can say no to that face then I know ice runs through your veins.
    Unknown said...
    What a riot. You certainly didn't have anything over on Max now did you. I am still laughing at the fact that this little guy is dictating to you when he gets his treat. What a piece of work Max is.

    Have a great day Rosie.
    Lee said...
    our jackahuahua has the same issue, LOL...she expects to be rewarded for EVERYTHING, :)
    GUYK said...
    Yep. Cockers and Poodles seem to train us very well and very rapidly.

Post a Comment