Saturday, January 12, 2008

Well, it's been a big day for the goaties. But a very sad one for me.

I said goodbye to my entire herd today. I was able to keep it together pretty much until they were all loaded up--and I've been weeping ever since. The goats have been my little family here, and it's been painful to see the herd broken apart, stolen and not being able to be with my kids. This entire year has been one non-stop ordeal of slander, copyright infringement and harassment. And all of it, completely unwarranted.

But as of today, there is no longer anything keeping me here. My babies are gone. I came here to raise goats. Before I even had goats, I was known as "the goat lady" from the moment I moved here. Goats were what I've always wanted to do.

But what can I say? Life's not fair, the universe is a random bunch of atoms, karma is a fairy tale and God is capricious. When one door closes, you better be wearing boots, because you're going to have to kick your way out of there. But there is one really wonderful silver lining in all of this. The goats found a really soft spot to land.

It's the best possible outcome for the girls and my big snuffly boy. And it's pretty good for you guys too...because the entire herd is at Hidden Haven Homestead. So you can check up on them on Peggy's blog. You'll need to go there for your goat fix. 'Cause all I got is two twisted sheep and a goose.

They were all really happy to be reunited on the day before the move. Peggy's husband William and their hired hand, Larry, came in on Friday night and crashed at my place so they could get an early start. We loaded them up and they were really comfy for the six hour ride. BossyToe was really excited and looked out the window of the camper. I think she would have hung her head out if she had been allowed to. She and Bridey really don't think of themselves as goats, you know. And I'm not entirely sure they are. They are little people running around in goat clothing.

They are with really super people now and completely safe. So--I'm happy.

Anyway, here are a bunch of them....looks like Blanche, Bridey, Sonya and Leonard--piggishly snarfing up cookies and obviously missing me desperately--not.



13 Comments:

  1. Erica said...
    Saying goodbye to wonderful, beloved friends...never easy. But I think, when there is compassion, from one being for another, atoms are definitely at play...but they are far from random. Surely, they recognized and appreciated your love, and in the Big Picture, I think, somewhere, somehow, though not in terms humans may necessarily understand, it definitely means something. You were a wonderful mama to them.
    threecollie said...
    Sorry you had to part with your friends. I just can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I am glad they went to a good place.
    Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    I visited your goats on Peggy's Blog. They do have a perfect home.
    I hope when I can no longer be here someone sends me to Peggy's place.
    Jbeeky said...
    Oh, that is so sad. Rosie, that must have been a hard day. I am really hoping that you are moving towards something else wonderful. I hope you know I am thinking of you.
    Lee said...
    awww, I'm sorry it's been that kind of year for you girl....but doors close and doors open, right? good thoughts for ya!
    Hayden said...
    I'm sorry Rosie. I know it must be incredibly painful.
    Peggy said...
    Rosie your goats are here anytime you want to pay a visit. Its not goodbye but see you again. I know your heart is breaking but I hope your new adventure is a wonderful one and will give you lots to write about. I love visiting your blog.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, Rosie I am so sorry you had to get rid of your babes. I am looking at the same thing, with my two mares for sale right now. Hay shortage and an uncertain future means lighten the load.

    My thoughts are with you. Keep your chin up! I had this sent to me the other day and I think it fits you too, even if you don't think so right now!

    It's not just that when one door closes, another door opens.

    When one door closes, choirs burst into chorus, orchestras orchestrate, bugles bugle, marching bands march, dogs catch Frisbees, cats 'chow, chow, chow,' pigs fly, and 10,000 new doors open.
    jen said...
    Oh Rosie-I feel so sad reading this post. Whats happened to make you give up on the area?
    KMTBERRY said...
    I am so sorry it has come to this. WHen you relocate, do you think you could get your goats again?

    Are you going to relocate to a small farm again?
    Nancy said...
    Oh, Rosie! I'm so sorry you've had to give up your goats. I'm glad they went to a good home, and one where you can look in and see how they're doing.

    What's the next thing for you?
    Libby Spencer said...
    Oh Rosie. I'm so sad to hear this. I loved the image I've had of you living on the mountain with your goats. It all sounds so unsettling.

    I hope you land in a good place.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh I can't even find the words.

Post a Comment