Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The other day, while I was vegging out, I think it was Sunday, I decided that I needed to make some more firestarters. I was out. You've probably heard me talk about these before. You take cardboard egg cartons and fill them with dryer lint. Then you melt down old spent candles and pour the wax over the dryer lint. After they cool, they will start any fire. Very good thrifty tip for those of you that burn wood. You can add grease...bacon grease, lard or old cooking oil to the wax to stretch it a bit. I had to stop doing that because the dogs find them irresistible with the grease in them.

Anyway, I found out that if you stuck them in the microwave for a bit, it helped the wax saturate the dryer lint even better. This time, I didn't melt enough wax and had four compartments with no wax. So, I put it in the microwave while I melted more old candles.

I don't know why the idea that something called a "firestarter" prolly didn't need to go in a microwave hadn't occurred to me. And I hadn't had any problems before when I put the entirely filled cartons in there.

Anyway, I look up and there are flames coming out of the microwave. And lots of smoke. It was a big mess. I had to move the thing to the sink and it took forever to get it to go out. The house smelled like burning egg crates and my firestarters were soaking wet.

Anyway, I know I said I wasn't going to do this on the blog anymore, but I'm thinking about doing a February story cycle. I think what I might do is put them up here, then move them over to editred after a few days. I'm thinking about doing love stories, since it is February. Whatcha think? Those are really challenging for me and I need a challenge right now.

3 Comments:

  1. Nancy said...
    I like reading your stories!
    Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...
    Your firestarters are too dangerous for me, I use some birch bark and some dry kindling.
    Hayden said...
    wow, that is really scary! I make them for camping, but have never tried doing them in the microwave. I think I'll skip that experiment.

Post a Comment